The group defined the following goals in its inaugural meeting in Livermore, Ca on July 12, 2011.
1) Modeling to Validate Plan
2) 120MeV Shot
3) Laser Rep-Rate Plan
4) Target Rep-Rate Plan
5) Beam Control, Shielding and Dosimetry Plan
As well as this draft specification for the proposed clinical system:
1) 220 MeV Proton Energy
2) Energy Spread dE/D = 1-5%
3) Remove gamma-rays, electrons and neutrons.
4) Dose +- 2%
5) Position +- 2mm
6) Accurate and high dose rate
7) High reliability, accuracy and reproducibility
8) Beam time available >95% of the time
The second meeting took place in coordination with Varian Medical Systems
and additional attendees on September 20, 2013 in Reno, NV. Interest continues to grow in evaluating the cost reduction potential of a laser-based proton source.